Monday, April 18, 2011

Graduation and Flowers

Today was my last day of my Bachelors of Science in Communications Degree. That's right, at age 41, I am finally completing my degree.

 I find it ridiculous to think that I had a 14 years as a stay at home mom with time to actually go to school and never did. It took a divorce, single parenthood, a new, full time job and the prospect of a disaster looming on the horizon to add full time student to my title. At a time when I had NO TIME, I chose to add 15-20 hours a week to my schedule in homework, reading and paper writing. I have sat at ball games, highlighting communications theories between batters, used the light of my cell phone to read chapters of mythology and religion while waiting for a movie to start, turned down offers of fun to write a paper on ancient Greece and procrastinated until the last possible second to complete an assignment under the guise of me 'working better under pressure'.

In my work, I talk people who were just like me and afraid of being unsuccessful in school or adding another chore to their already busy lives. Today, one of those students, an outstanding woman named Angie, recognized my achievement by sending me this gorgeous flower arrangement and a box of chocolates to work. The card was simple and congratulated me on reaching my goal. When I called to thank her, she told me that it was important to mark the day and celebrate my degree.

Thanks you Angie, for recognizing my hard work. Thank you for bringing me to tears and making me feel like I had done something worthwhile and worth recognizing me. I appreciate you and hope you will be around to talk me through my Masters of Science in Psychology as well. I am going to need it.

PS~ Graduation is April 30. Pictures will follow. YAY ME!!!!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Congrats! Doesn't it feel good? No one can take your education from you, it is your forever. Master's in Psych?? What are you scheming now? Love it!

Angie said...

Have a great time tomorrow and live it up as you have never done before. Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done and expect one from each family member, friend, and stranger. We will be thinking of you as you accept your hard-earned and well-deserved diploma. XO Angie, Keith, Tony, Scooter, Radish, Ottis, and Milo - a.k.a. The Gang