Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bullies

I may not be religious any more, having chosen to let go of the faith in which I was raised. (That is a whole 'nother story that brings up a conversation about POSERS and very "righteous, influential people" throwing rocks from their own glass living rooms, but alas, that is for a different day.) Bullies are people who feel happy when other people feel bad. They may have had some sort of traumatic incident in their childhood precipitating these episodes of anti-social behavior, but let's get out my childhood and compare notes, shall we? I may not always be the best behaved girl in the world...I am loud, opinionated (but less so as I get older), and oblivious sometimes, but I mean well. Mostly. At work, we have to participate in trainings about sexual harrassment and corporate compliance with the bottom line being INTENT DOES NOT MATTER. You may not intend to offend someone with a comment, but if they are offended, your perplexed butt will be hauled in to HR so fast it will make your head spin. "Do not gather your things dear, we will do it for you. Now about what you said to so and so......." But..I digress. I have been being bullied for years. You would think that with the mouth and the opinions, I would handle this sort of thing well, but nope. I do not like confrontation. I don't like to hurt people's feelings and I don't like them to hurt mine. I just want everyone to share their toys and go home from the playground tired and happy. There is always one kid in the box that likes to throw sand that messes it up for everyone. I am about to being backed into a corner of the sandbox and am having to make a choice I don't want to make. I want people to get along. I want people to do what is best for others sometimes and not themselves, I want people to wake up, look around them and see that their actions are hurting people around them who can only stand, gobsmacked, and watch as thier favorite tos are kicked and smashed to smithereens. The intent, I have hoped for some time, is that the bully is stupid. Now I think not. Now I think the bully is worse than stupid, the bully is sinister. The bully has intentions of which I know nothing if I am being truthful but you know what bully? INTENT DOES NOT MATTER. You watched the compliance videos too. Yeah, today pretty much sucked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, bullies and manipulative people suck. They are mean people with low self-esteem. Rise above, forge ahead, and leave them behind. They are not worth anyone's time.