Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The next night

after work, I began the trek to his hotel in North Phoenix to go to dinner. We talked on the phone most of the way there and I will admit, I felt quietly confidant. More like I was going to dinner with an old friend than begining an adventure with a possible new love.
Alright, I did pull over and mess with my lip gloss once...ok, and I made sure my eyeliner wasn't smudged. I wore red that day because it made me feel beautiful too. (What? I am still a girl!)

When I got there, he invited me in and we sat for a few minutes before we went to dinner. It was like being in the company of someone I had known forever, I cannot explain it further than that because unless you were there, it doesn't make sense. In my head, I was attracted to him, but still hesitant to really jump in with both feet. After all, he could still be a serial killer, and I wanted to take my time getting to know him.

We drove to Pappa Deux. I had never been and he thought it looked cool, so that was the spot. We did the first date thing, learning more about each other, starting to get used to each others presence. When I suggested that we try fried alligator for an appetizer, he gave me a look and said "Seriously?" Hell yes seriously. Why not try something new? It seemed to be the new code I was living by, and I was going with it! (FYI, I thought it was disgusting, he actually liked it. Go figure.)

After dinner, we walked back to the car, both of us swimming around in the newness of what we were feeling, a mixture of old friends-new beginings. When we got back to the parking lot at the hotel, I started to walk him to his room, when he unexpectedly grabbed my wrist and pulled me to his chest. That was when it happened. Something that has only ever happened one other time in my entire 37 years.
My heart lept and my stomach turned over.
This man, who I was just starting to know, had made my heart pound with anticipation, fear, longing, excitement, joy and confusion. All I could think was 'PAY ATTENTION. This is not something that you can blow off.....this man makes your heart race.'

Then he kissed me and all I can say is that it was magical. (How cheesy does THAT sound? If I hadn't lived it, I would get a little nauseaous with the Disneyness of it.)This man, from so far away, who was nothing like me or the people I grew up with had made me feel like I was 16 and on my very first date.

As I wobbled to my car to begin the long drive home, my whole self wanted to stay there with him and begin forever....

............but we all know it doesn't work like that.

I settled for calling him and talking all the way home.

No comments: